Re: Flowering plant

    * From: Chuck Gadd <cgadd at cfxc_com>
    * Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:19:17 -0700

>> The plant is definitely a Bacopa of some sort.  I don't think it is Bacopa
>> caroliniana, because it doesn't have a hairy stem.  If I could see a
>> picture of its submersed growth, maybe I could tell what it is.

>I'll take a few shots today showing submersed growth of the mystery plant
>and some Bacopa caroliniana side by side.

>Just to double-check that I'm not mis-labelling my plants, Bacopa caroliniana
>has a minty smell to it, right?

The smell of B. carolinia is not exactly like mint, but it is definitely a
"herbal" smell that is noticable if you crush a leaf.  As somebody else
mentioned on this list about a month ago, B. carolinia sends underground
stems that surface often several inches away from the parent plant.  I have
not seen that behavior and I have not noticed any herbal smell in B.
monnieri, the only other Bacopa that I have had a lot of experience with.

Paul Krombholz, in well-watered central Mississippi expecting to drop below
freezing tonight.