RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1459

> Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 15:58:19 EST
> From: CESSNABUM1 at aol_com
> Subject: seting up 125 gallon tank
>
> My wife just sprung it on me that I can get my 125 gallon
> tank for Christmas
> that I have been dreaming about. (she must want something
> big). So my question to you is can you help me set it up! I'm
> thinking about getting the reef ready style that has the
> overflow boxes
> in each corner, and drilled with bulkhead fittings, because I
> would like to
> use a wet/dry filter. I'm interested in the eheim model 2229.
> Do I even need
> the overflow boxes with this filter? Is this a good choice of
> filter? Can
> someone explain the theory behind overflow boxes, sumps etc.
> or can send me
> to a site with good info.
> Another question is cable heaters. Is it worth the money?
> what is a good
> brand to get and from where.
> I'm probably going to use cf lighting from ahsupply.
> any suggestion on what to do with this setup is greatly appreciated
>
> Jeff Vamos
> Cessnabum1 at aol_com

If I may be so bold, as someone who has a 125 gallon planted tank, I hope that I can offer some advice that doesn’t stray TOO far from the accepted. ;>

125 gallon plexi's tend to be TOO TALL... If I had it over again, I'd either choose some non-standard 125 gallon LONG or a 100gallon so that it wasn't too high..

WET DRY... I wouldn't do that with a tropical planted aquarium. The wet/dry action would eliminate the benefits of CO2 (imho) and might "overprocess" the nitrite into nitrates (that the plants should be consuming instead)..

It's probably a bit of overkill. Instead, spend that money doing the undergravel heating and lots of fun laterite and great lighting from AH supply (or some REALLY kickbutt metal halide pendants!)..

Of course, I defer to the experts on this list, cause when it comes to planted tanks, I'm an avid fan of many years, but nowhere NEAR the "amano/gadd/etc. experts" here.. (I tend to put too many Discus in my tanks to qualify as an aquatic gardener.. Grin).

Regards,

Gregory

      http://www.myfishbox.com

-- This email has been scanned for viruses before being sent.