RE: Quick connects / Electronic gurus

Thanks to the "electronic gurus" Chuck Gadd, Sherlock Wong and Bill Witchers
for their thorough replys to my question about quick connects / ballast
wiring.

It looks like what I bought at Radio Shack are Tamiya connectors, and that
they will handle the current / voltage requirements of my lights.  Chuck and
Bill expressed concerns about them corroding and also not being particularly
good being disconnected/reconnected.

Ordinarily, I would probably order new connectors from one of the suppliers
you guys gave me, but I would like to get this hood finished, as it has been
sitting on the floor in my apartment since Thanksgiving!  Plus, I doubt I
will be disconnecting them very often -- maybe once or twice every 3-4
months (I build the hood so I wouldn't have to remove it for tank access).
As for the corrosion concern, that is great to know, but I have been
planning on placing the QDs in the stand next to the remote-mounted ballasts
-- a dry location.  Will they be okay?  I was planning on connecting them
with wire nuts and then using heat-shrink tubing over the top.  Sound okay?

Thanks again,

Tony is surprising warm and sunny PA.

>Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 22:45:39 GMT
>From: Bill Wichers <billw at waveform_net>
>Subject: Re: Ballast wiring question / Electronic gurus

>>The main question I have now is concerning quick-disconnects.  Last night
>>purchased at Radio Shack some 2 conductor QD's that were labeled for use
>>with 7.6v RC car batteries.  They have 16 gauge 105C / 600v wire with
>>plastic disconnects that lock together.  These were the only QDs that RS
>>had, and the guys running the store had no clue if they would work between
>>the ballasts and the sockets (typical of RS these days).  The guys
expressed
>>concern that they might melt.  The things look reasonably heavy duty to
me.