Re: java fern and light

Hi Penny,

I don't think it's a lighting problem. I have nearly 6 watts per gallon and
my java (regular and windelov are very very happy). Something might be
wrong, but I would not look at the light... Also consider leaving the leaves
with black spots for a while. Sometimes java gets ugly then new growth
sprouts from spores. It might just be a phase you have to get through,
especially in a relatively new environ.

FWIW Robin

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 02:25:52 +0800
> From: Penny Crowley <pcrowley at snet_net>
> Subject: java fern
>
> There have been a few questions about java fern on the list lately and I'd
> like to add in my two cents.
>
> About a year ago I had a low-light (1wpg) low maintenance (water changes
> when ever I felt like it) tank, community fish, and the only plants I had
> were gorgeous, luxurious, growing-like-a-weed java ferns on driftwood.
>
> I upgraded to 3wpg (PC), I follow all the rules (water changes every 1-2
> weeks), dose with TMG & Potassium, have normal N & P levels, and added
lots
> more plants, most of which grow well.
>
> However, my java ferns have been reduced to small, ugly little things.
They