Measuring KH

     I have been using an electronic "pen" that I believe measures total
dissolved solids in the water.  It gives a reading in ppm.  I use it to help me
figure how much tap water to mix with my ro/di water.  I have been shooting for
a measurement of around 120-180ppm.  I have just been assuming that this should
give me around 6-9 KH and DH.  Am I making a dangerous assumption?  It is just
so easy to dip the pen in the water vs. doing the hardness tests I have used in
the past.

Thanks,
Trey in Tulsa, OK