Rataj book (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:33:00 -0500
From: Karen Randall <krandall at world_std.com>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: Rataj book

> Now I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with $70 than buy an
out-of-
> date book with low-quality photographs and labeling errors, but at the
> same time, I don't want to pass up a classic.  I've checked the APD
> archives, and most reviewers seemed rather underwhelmed, given that (in
> their view) more recent and better quality books have become available.

Well, it's just me again, but here's my opinion for what it's worth.  If you
are interested in collecting literature about aquatic plants, this is a
necessary piece for any comprehensive collection.  There are few enough of
them out there that they are hard to come by, but I suspect if you are
willing to wait, you can find another copy for less than $70.

If your main interest in the book is as a reference book, don't bother.  You
will get much better ID information from the Tropica and Oriental catalogs,
(Dennerle too if you can hunt one of those up) or better yet, buy a copy of
Kasselmann's book.  Even in German her book, with it's good photos and
correct ID's has more utility than the Rataj and Horeman and is about the
same price.

Karen