They're WATCHING you!!! (only kidding) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:24:28 -0500
From: Karen Randall <krandall at world_std.com>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: They're WATCHING you!!! (only kidding)

Robert H. wrote:

> Please, lets not take some tonge and cheek humorous comments and turn it
> into something ugly...good grief. Nobody is having their door kicked in..

I've got to agree.  I've been doing this for years.  My house is positively
aglow when seen from the outside at night. I buy what I want from whom I
want using any method of payment I choose for convenience.  Not only has no
one ever bothered me,  I've never even _heard_ of a U.S. aquarist who has
actually HAD anyone bother them.  I think this has reached the level of
urban legend.

In Jame's case, I'd like to point out first that James lives in Canada, NOT
the U.S.  I also think it's an entirely different situation when some
neighbor reports you, whether out of mean spiritedness or true civic
concern.  I think that then the police NEED to investigate.

Several people around here have made it sound like we have the Gestapo just
chomping at the bit to trump up charges against good upstanding members of
the community.  T'ain't so from anything I have first hand knowledge of.
With all the people who have posted their suspicions and fears on this list,
do ANY of you _know_ of any government agency investigating your activities?
Besides the E-mail that Rhonda received.  We have no idea how they happened
to learn of her site, and they didn't "do" anything to her except ask her if
she would participate in spreading the word about the dangers of invasive
non-natives.

It took 19 1/2 years for the Social Security office to notice that I'd
forgotten to change my name in the records after I got married. Then they
made me sit and wait for 1 1/2 hours in their office last week for the
privilege of handing them the form to change it.  It seems HIGHLY unlikely
to me that the U.S. government is well enough staffed (or motivated) to
conduct regular midnight raids on aquatic gardeners.

Karen