good beginner plants?

this is my first post, so please be kind...

what are good beginner plants, i have a small sword(i think) but the rest of
my plants are plastic. seeing as my tap waters got 80+ppms of nitrate, i
need plants to lower the levels. this is my first aquarium, and has been
running for about 3-4 weeks now with 3 zebra danios in it, and a few other
fish. people have said java fern, which is what i'm going to look for at the
weekend, but what are the basic rules of keeping this?

Regards,
Chris Moody,
Aka, The Zpyder
zpyder at btinternet_com