Light Meters

<< Photographic ligth meters trade range for resolution. They are capable of
 measuring very brigth and very dim ligth, but cannot tell the difference
 between ligth levels that are too close apart. A difference of a 1/4 f/stop
 corresponds to a factor about 20%, and its' hard to get from a regular
 photographic meter. I believe meters designed specifically for aquarium
 use would work on a narrower range of illumination, but would provide better
 resolution. >>

Yes Ivo and they are called One Degree digital spotmeters. I've been using
one for years with my large format work and  for double checking the
calibration of the metering of my F4 and  other systems. Not cheap these
days. A  decent one will cost anywhere from $200.00 on up. ANd a good one
will meter such a small increment as you cited  but B & W film latitude is
rather forgiving. Color Transparency film is not. Define what you mean by
resolution please. In traditional terms,  resolution is defined by resolving
lines or whatever per X. Then there's actutance. As far as defining a one
point difference, a good digital spot meter will do that easily. remember we
can be talking about one inch at 100 yards. If you can hold the meter
sufficiently steady you can read the shadow values, or highlight values and
adjust your expose so that the desired reading falls where you want it on the
curve of the film.

David

David