Re: Various comments on lighting

>From: "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
>Subject: RE: Har grass
>
>>    Is the hairgrass in the 5w/g tank that you mentioned, growing in plain
>>flourite?
>
>Yes and no.
>I have it in a high light & medium tank & a low light tank. It will do quite
>nice at 3 watts a gallon unless you have a 24 inch deep tank or something.

I have it growing quite nicely at a little over 2wpg (160w over 75g tank:
18wx48lx19h(inches))
 I have not tried it in my lower light tanks.

>>    Under high light does the hairgrass stay lower, or will it still go
>>vertical?

Eleocharis baldwinii (aka E. parvulus) never goes vertical. Another hair
grass species does this. Unfortunately it is the more commonly available one!

>From: "Cathy Hartland" <hartland at nfis_com>
>Subject: Re: Light Quality

>I was balancing it for my eyes. The trichromatics look yellowish to
>me, the 50/50's combined to create a more natural color. I'd use
>cool whites instead if I could stand the color they create in a tank -
>I'm sure the plants wouldn't care.

Plants need light for different reasons and "good growth" means different
things to different people. The rate of plant does not appear to depend on
lighting spectrum... just depends on total par ... so a lot of green can be
better than a little red and blue. But other plant characteristics DO
depend on spectrum (light color).... ie. reproduction and probably leaf
color and shape. People and photographic needs are also important. Some
people prefer to view their plants under a "white" light; others with a
slightly bluer look. This roughly corresponds to color temp of 5500-6000K
for "white" and "6000-7000K" for blue-white. It does become personal. I do
not like 5000K bulbs, they seem reddish TO ME. My film likes 6000K.

>From: busko at stsci_edu (Ivo Busko)
>Not quite so. pure water at the
>red end (600-700 nm), is in the range 20-50% [of attenuation].

I have not seen this result before. I would be interested in seeing
Wright's comments.

>From: "James Purchase" <jpurch at interlog_com>
>Subject: Re: Hanging pendants vs closed cover

>It has been my experience that even a tank with nothing in it  but water and
>gravel can be a significant light source for an entire room.  Light manages
>to come out of it all over the place.

Wright: is the light coming back into the room from reflected surfaces like
the gravel?

>Open top tanks with hanging lamps are nice, but there are viable resons to
>keep the lid on.

I like to do both... use FL lighting close to the water over open tanks.

--Neil