Re: Snake oil/cycling your tank

>Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:24:29 -0400
>From: "Adam Novitt" <novitt at javanet_com>
>Subject: Mark Weiss Living Water
>
>As long as we are on the topic I was wondering what the thoughts are on Mark
>Weiss products, particularly Living Water Vital.  Does anyone know what this
>stuff is?  The labeling reads "DRAMATICALLY ENHANCES THE GROWTH OF AQUARIUM
>PLANTS WITHOUT NITRATES OR PHOSPHATES. BIOLOGICALLY DISCOURAGES ALGAE AND
>PARASITES WHILE ENHANCING BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION. INCREASES SPAWNING AND
>FERTILITY FOR YOUR COMMUNITY TANK CONTAINS NO NITRATES, PHOSPHATES OR
>SILICATES. NOT A TRACE ELEMENT, PLANT FOOD MEDICATION, FERTILIZER OR
>ALGICIDE."  Weiss products seem to have an air similar to that of ADA stuff,
>people seem to think that it is "good" but what is it?
>
>Adam

Snake oil. I have used it and played with it quite a bit. I want my money
back.
It has never helped in any way ever in any tank I have ever used it in. I
gave it several chances. Other folks  may see things differently but its
pure 100% genuine snake oil IMO. I think its enzymic activated calalysts and
bacterial food ......supposed growth enhancement for bacteria. These don't
do dittlely generally........try using old mulmy gravel vac'ed water from an
old established tank.
It'll do the same thing..... actually better and it's free. If you wish to
cycle your tank add this old mulmy water. It's the best stuff out there.
Work on CO2/KH/PH first. Stay away from magic bullets or pills that cure
"all your problems". Read the Krib instead, it's lots cheaper! Thanks to
Paul for bringing up the term "snake oil".

Regards,
Tom Barr