RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #224

Roger said "Photosynthesis does not consume nitrogen."

I've seen a number of texts that re-iterate the following statements -

"From the observed average ratios of the major elemental constituents of
algal biomass we can use 'C106-H263-O110-N16-P' as the 'formula' for algae.
Depending on whether the nitrogen is taken up as nitrate or ammonium ion, we
can write the following two more complete stoichiometric descriptions of
photosynthesis -

106CO2 + 16NO3- + H2PO4- + 122H2O + 17H+  <==> algae + 138O2

or

106CO2 + 16NH4+ + H2PO4- + 106H2O <==> algae + 106O2 + 15H+

These processes which involve the assimilation of cations and anions such as
NH4+ and NO3- affect the alkalinity as a result of the uptake or release of
H+ (or OH-) that is required to maintain charge balance.  From the
stoichiometry of these equations we can see that -

- When the major nitrogen source is NH4+, the alkalinity decreases by 15/106
(=0.14) mol per mole of carbon fixed;

- When the major nitrogen source is NO3-, the alkalinity increases by 17/106
(=0.16) mol per mole of carbon fixed.

The pH changes brought about by assimilation or release of phosphate &
nitrogen are usually quite small compared to those due to CO2 exchange."

The above information can be found on pages 19-20 of
http://www.sfu.ca/chemcai/pdf/c3carb.pdf
<http://www.sfu.ca/chemcai/pdf/c3carb.pdf>  (see also
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/webwork/hmco/chemed-l/199805/msg000
20.html
<http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/webwork/hmco/chemed-l/199805/msg00
020.html>  for the original link).

Can anyone confirm if this is (or isn't) correct (or relevant!)?

Kevin