hydra

I noticed some hydra in a ten gallon with platies teh other day.  Didn't
really think anything of it until today. They're everywhere.  I had never
seen them before and was wondering.  DO they damage plants in any way?  Will
teh platies eat them if i starve them?  I have heard ddwarf gouramis will.
SHould I jsut change a large amount of the water to get rid of them?  If
they don't damage the plants then I really dont' care.
TIA
Joe