Aquatic entomology

    I was just wondering if any others out there have done any experimenting
with insects in planted aquariums. I'm an entomology student and was just out
catching some small mayflies when I thought that their larvae would make
excellent tank cleaners. I caught about 20 or 30 adults (about the size of
fruit flies) and figured that a few of them might still have enough eggs in
them to drop a few in my tank. I dropped the adults in and before I close the
lid back and sit down, my diamond tetras had eaten them all. I don't think
they had time to drop any eggs, but I'll see. I've never seen them get that
excited about live brine shrimp or worms. Has anyone else tried any types of
insects as algae eaters or bottom cleaners before? I wonder how hydrophilid
beetles (water scavenger beetles) might work. Just curious.

Craig