You say molucca (shrimp that is)

In a message dated 1/2/00 12:52:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,

<< From: "Stephen Lindsay" <stephen_lindsay at lineone_net>
 Subject: re: flower shrimp

 On Thu. 30th Dec., Karen wrote:
 "Atyopsis mollucensis. Another common name is Thai Wood Shrimp, though their
 scientific name suggests that they are not from Thailand."

 I would like to have indicated what is in the scientific name above that
proves the
 shrimp is not from Thailand.

 Also, is tropical shrimp are largely filter-feeders, do they really make
much impact
 upon various forms of algae in the aquarium.

 Thank-you,
 Stephen.

Sorry to be a "butt-in-ski" here... but as a long (okay, old) reader/writer
in the field of systematics I feel compelled to mention that real often,
scientific names that refer to specific localities don't necessarily have
much to do with their real distribution... but likely their "type" locality
(from whence the organism was originally collected, described from. In the
case of Atyopsis moluccensis... it is indeed found in a much wider range than
the "Moluccas" (pic and more at:
http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/~webdbs/BioDiversity/aquatic/fw_prawn.html
And, I would give a look/see at the last assertion... that tropical shrimp
are largely filter feeders... maybe as planktonic juveniles...
Bob "shrimpy today" Fenner