NFC: DP: hydrogen peroxide doser - forward from the Aquarium List

Any of you folks have expereince or comments on this?

Thanks,

Chuck Church

Subj:	      Re: Sudden Death
Date:	11/17/98 11:26:21 PM US Central Standard Time
From:	McDaphnia at AOL_COM (Dan McMonigle)
Sender:	AQUARIUM at LISTSERV_CC.EMORY.EDU (Fish and Aquaria)
Reply-to:	AQUARIUM at LISTSERV_CC.EMORY.EDU (Fish and Aquaria)
To:	AQUARIUM at LISTSERV_CC.EMORY.EDU

A hydrogen peroxide doser is basically a bottle that you fill with a strong
hydrogen peroxide solution. There is a pellet in the bottle that catalyses
some of the peroxide to form oxygen. This pushes a small amount of solution
into a reaction chamber where it oxidizes any bacteria or organic compounds.
This raises the oxygen level and this diffuses through the entire tank, even
under the filter plates. It's not electric, so it is the only aeration and
filtration your tank would have during a power outage. Meridian in the US and
Soechting in Germany each make different size models. Except for buying and
using their stuff, I have no association with either company.

We do a lot of things in our aquariums to approximate nature, but one place we
fall down is the concentration of bacteria in our water. It's so high in the
aquarium because we don't do anything matching the sun's ultraviolet rays that
penetrate the water and oxidize the bacteria or anything to match the ozone
produced in thunderstorms that chemically does the same thing. A hydrogen
peroxide doser is a piece of equipment esssential to making our aquariums more
natural, more like nature.

Subj:	      Re: Sudden Death