Re: lists - another idea - ONE list

I have to go along with Mark.  Due to time constraints, I'm trying to figure
which lists I am going to drop now. NFC and NANFA  are not under
consideration.

Multiple lists on the same general subject matter with basically the same
people may not turn out to be the most efficient way in hindsight.  Keep in
mind that some are already displeased with double posts between NFC and NANFA.
Are we going to post the "Trading Post" on all of these?  When someone has
live food, plant and general fish keeping questions, answers and information,
will they post on all of the sublists?  You bet.

Before a lot of talented, well intentioned people put a lot of time and effort
in to this, let us think out some other options.

First I would suggest we determine why some think it is necessary to come up
with subgroups.  And really listen to what they say and understand their
views.

I've read where some would prefer to read nothing but native fish related
stuff and drop everything else.  No more of my bad jokes or others' herp
stories or religion, politics and whatever else that comes up.  Some,
including myself, just want some of that stuff dropped.  I haven't gotten any
negative feed back about the jokes.  I enjoy the herp stories.  Turtles,
snakes, ponds and such seem to be a natural extension of many who are
interested in natives. If some of our members go to South America and collect
tropicals, I'd love to hear about it.  Its too soon to predict now, but I may
travel to China in the next couple of years on business and will tour a family
owned Goldfish farm (Goldfish are native to China).  Probably most would be
interested in hearing the story if I go.

Perhaps we should examine alternative ways to run our current list.  Robert
Rice probably doesn't have time to run a moderated list where all messages are
checked before they are posted.  He's much more valuable in other areas.
Maybe we need to establish some stronger list rules and do a little self
policing.  The ones that come to mind are making sure we match subject headers
to the actual subject and to make sure we handle some subjects privately.  A
little more time and detail in the subject header alone should solve a lot of
problems. The rules will be broken sometimes, but I think most of us will
respond to gentle reminders, say we are sorry, and try to sin no more.  I did
it just the other day.

Would others please put thought in to this subject and let the rest of us
know.

Respectfully,

Chuck Church
CEFChurch at aol_com