Re: Class Project

I'll call you this weekend Bill , to work things out......BTW foklks I am
back in town what a week 2300 miles in 5 days ...got some collecting
stories to tell will write em up in the next couple o days......

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:16:45 -0500 Bill Flowers <bloomin at indy_net>
writes:
>        I have a chance to put a 10 gallon aquarium setup in a 6th
>grade
>classroom. I would like to make this fun and at the same time
>educational for
>the kids. I need some help coming up with a goal that these kids could
>achieve,
>but not be so scientific that they get tired of it soon. I need some
>ideas and
>be specific.
>       What I have considered so far is putting some Gambusia Affinis
>and some
>Darters in the aquarium and study the interaction between the 2
>species. These
>fish were caught within 3 ft of each other at the same time. The
>Gambusia would
>also give them the chance to see livebearers having babies. They could
>also
>raise the babies.
>The darters are young and so I do not have a positive ID yet. I have a
>good idea
>from what has been taken out in the past. I thought the kids could
>raise them
>and tell me what kind they are and why they came to that ID.
>      Another idea that has been proposed was to get some native
>killies and let
>them breed and raise them. I am from Indiana and have not captured any
>native
>killies yet. Been looking just haven,t found any yet. Would like to
>use fish
>from the kids own backyard so to speak.
>   This is the ideas I have right now, but am open to other ideas.
>
>      A Fish Addict,
>       Bill Flowers

Robert Rice
Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the NFC
email us at NFC at actwin_com
website  http://nativefish.interspeed.net/

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]