Re: Collecting in Georges' Aftermath

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 Noturus2 at aol_com wrote:

> Try this-,,,,http://seahorse.ims.usm.edu/~musweb/photocredits.html
>
> let me know if thats it

It actually looks a lot like Fundulus blairae at
www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/tnhc/na/fundulid/fundulus/fblairae/i_fblair.html

This is consistent with Petersons distribution map for the species as
well.  I also ran them through the topminnows key of Fishes of Alabama,
but the darn critters wouldn't hold still long enough for me to see if
their "Pores 4a and 4b of supraorbital sensory canal system" are fused.
Aparently, they don't mind being unidentified (at least by me), as they
are doing well in my tank!

P.S.  I have found different common names being used for the same common
name and vice versa.  For example:

Peterson's has:
F. notti=Southern Starhead Topminnow
F. escambiae=Eastern Starhead Topminnow
F. blairae= Western Starhead Topminnow

Fishes of Alabama has:
F. notti=bayou topminnow
F. escambiae=russetfin topminnow
F. blairae=Southern Starhead Topminnow

So, say I do in fact have F. blairae; is that the Southern or western
Starhead Topminnow?  Does it really matter?  What do you guys use?

Sorry for rambling!
David