Re: Collecting in Georges' Aftermath

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Mark Binkley wrote:

> Is the bay salt, brachish or fresh?  All of those species are restricted to
> fresh water except maybe Lucania parva.  Interesting to consider how
> habitats may become populated during catastrophic events such as this.

Actually, it's both.  The northern part is almost completely fresh, while
the southern part empties into the gulf.  The vast majority is brackish.
I didn't have my hydrometer with me, but the water definately had some
salt in it, enough to taste.  I'm not sure about the other species, but I
have found Gambusia in almost straight seawater.  Go figure!
dvid