Re: NFC: Exotic crayfish

I saw a segment this past weekend on "Missouri Conservation Outdoors" that
talked of crayfish introductions into the St. Francis River in
Missouri.  It seems that now the two native species to the river are now
in danger of extinction due to introduction of the Black River Crayfish
(think I have the name right).  It was probably introduced through a bait
bucket since the drainages are near to each other but not linked.

I was wondering if maybe we could get a frew crayfish breeders together
and offer to try and maintain a captive population.  Don't know if it's
workable though or if Missouri would go for it.

Luke

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Wright Huntley wrote:

> robert a rice wrote:
> >
> > Thats what exotics are russian roulette sure 9 times its ok but the 10th
> > time BANG !
> >
> > I always explain it like this. Every place is a painting why are you
> > adding the beard ?
>
> Wonderful, Robert!
>
> That is really sweet talk to the ears of one who makes up to 4 1400-1700
> mile trips a year to remove (read that murder, er, euthanize) innocent fish,
> crayfish, frogs, plants and turtles that some dip put where it hurt natives'
> habitat!
>
> We always lose a significant number of new volunteers who can't take it. "I
> didn't come out here just to kill fish!" is heard all too often.
>
> The solution? Be damned careful that you don't introduce "exotic" species of
> plants, reptiles, mammals, fish or inverts where they don't belong. Oops.
> Left out birds. ;-)
>
> I just told a good friend in Hawaii that I had no desire to send him any of
> my cute, overpopulating, pygmy crayfish. Those escape artists could do a
> terrible number on their local streams.
>
> Thanks for the good advice.
>
> Wright
>
> --
> Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home_com
>
> "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and
> thus clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series
> of hobglobins, all of them imaginary." -- H.L. Mencken
>
>                http://environmental.networkroom.com/

Follow-Ups: References: