Re: NFC: Fw: a message from Robert Redford

> In parts of NV, the local ranchers are far ahead of
> USF&WL in their interest
> in preserving their local native fish. In some
> others, you may get shot for
> trying to inspect the habitat on public range land,
> should the rancher even
> see you out there. They have been Sierra Clubbed to
> death, and are fed up.
Yes, the Devil's Hole Pupfish benefitted from water
being pumped from its aquifer and almost destroying
its habitat in the 1970s, as I recall? Ranchers are
usually concerned with keeping their land productive
and not destroying it; but they also need water in NV,
at almost any cost. Of course, so does Las Vegas,
probably the _real_ threat there.

> There was a near armed rebellion over a maliciously
> misused Bull Trout
> declaration, last year, finally forcing the
> resignation of the Forest
> Service moron at fault.
Yes, it was an armed rebellion by people insisting
roads be opened even though these roads were causing
siltation in the Bull Trout stream and systematically
killing them off through reproductive failure. It's
Federal land, and in this case I would vote for road
closure to protect the Bull Trout. So did Trout
Unlimited, not notorious as a militant direct action
group. Forest Service people who actually try to do a
good job are often subject to lynch-mob level
hysteria.

The ugly truth is that much of the West is Federal
land, subject to administration through nationally
mandated laws and policies. Many local people don't
like that beause they think it's "their" land. True,
but just as much as it is that of someone from
Michigan or Delaware. This saga will continue to be
played out for some time, I'm sure.

Boo Radley, Saraland, Alabama