Re: NFC: Fish News

Date sent:      	Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:00:53 -0600 (CST)
From:           	mcclurg luke e     <mcclurgl at washburn_edu>
To:             	nfc at actwin_com
Copies to:      	archimedes at master_localink4.com
Subject:        	Re: NFC: Fish News
Send reply to:  	nfc at actwin_com

luke

thank you for the sense of this list you have. i found mr. andrew's
and mr. capelle's responses disappointing. i'm 54, and i've never
appreciated the use of the term "chick" in a disparaging way as
anything other than sexist behavior, that is, disrespectful of
women. how we speak influences how we think, and how we
behave.

while i do not share the feeling A&C maintain about the
worthlessness of PETA and its adherents, even if i did, i would
think one could separate out disdain for a cause from disdain for
individuals.

using "chick" among friends in an ironic or joking manner is of
course acceptable (so long as no one is insulted by such usage),
but posting it for all the world to see while trying to support a cause
(in this case, protecting native fish) does little but lessen my
respect for the individuals involved, or my reliance on their postings.

of course anyone can say anything they want. i would
strongly support that freedom as an American. but insulting
language insults. and if adherents of a cause want their cause to
be respected, they ought to demonstrate respect, even in their
opposition to others.

as i am looking for information on protecting cutthroat trout in the
mountains of colorado where a golf course is threatening a small
stream in our watershed, i will stay on this listserv a bit, and see if i
can learn something. but if there is a pattern of insulting attitudes
expressed, i can and will look elsewhere for this information.

art goodtimes