Re: inedible hair algae

I have an almost purely groundless theory, based only on some aquarium
observations that support yours. It seems to me that when algae and plants
grow in an aquarium with fish or snails, the only algae species that survive
are those that are too tough, too bad-tasting, or something that gives them
immunity to the kind of fish they are with. So I raise the hair algae in one
tank and feed it to the fish in another. I have two kinds of hair algae that
most fish eat. One is very soft and slimy to the touch if removed from the
water and light green. The other one is almost black, grows from a holdfast,
and if the current is not too strong, it has a vase-like shape. If mollies
won't eat an alga, I'd try to eliminate that species and find another to
culture in a separate tank.