Re: daphnia

For green water cultures for raising daphnia, I think its a good idea to
have snails. They will eat many kinds of algae that can compete with the
unicellular algae for nutrients. You also probably don't want to be
putting filament algae into your fish tanks at feeding time.

Another thought, daphnia should probably be raised in a different
container from the green water breeding container. They can quickly
destroy the green water breeding population! and then you just have
clear water!

BTW, can we consider Spirogyra a live food? I have a rather nice crop of
it in a new tank (mainly Crypts that aren't doing very well yet) and it
is the primary food source for the guppies that I added to control it.
So far the guppies still look well fed. :-)

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/