Re: Miracle Grow

Two cents worth.  Plants do need copper.  Small quantities not a problem.
I used miracle grow at about 1 Tbs per 10 gallons, every few weeks in a
marine micro algae culture.  This kept it nice and green and had no
apparent affect on the marine rotifers I was culturing at the time.
Currently I am fooling around with the freshwater species and Daphnia
culture via green water.  I have a 150 gallon stock tank with a bunch of
guppies, goldfish.  And it is being aerated.  I have added again 1 Tbs per
150 gallons.  It seemed like phosphrus was the limiting factor and the
States fish hatchery would feed their green water generator (talapia )
Trout Chow, which seemed like it had the highest P content of any fish food.

MTF

>Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:31:30 -0700
>From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
>Subject: Re: Miracle Grow
>
>> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:49:50 -0700
>> From: "Kim J. Kubasek" <kubasek at thegrid_net>
>> Subject: Microworms, Miracle Grow, Yeast.
>snip...
>
>> Miracle Grow:
>>
>> I've always been afraid that the copper in Miracle Grow would be toxic to
>> the Daphnia-apparently a pinch in 50 gallons is a non-lethal dose-thanks for
>> the voice of experience!.  The separate grow-out tank also would help avoid
>> this.
>
>Could be, Kim. I get mysterious die-offs once in a while, but never
>correlated with adding fertilizer. I'll watch that, from now on. It works
>better in my green-water tank, anyway. Thanks.
>
>Wright

Mach T. Fukada
AKA member 07778
fukada at aloha_net

MACh Tech,
Macintosh Computer and Agriculture/Aquaculture Consulting

Visit our friends at the Honolulu Aquarium Society
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2948/HASF.html

Also see what awesome deals can be found at the Fish Shack
http://www.thefishshack.com/