Re: worm thoughts

>  I have them in peat and potting soil and was told to feed leaves or
>  oatmeal.Would this be alright for food or should I add shredded newspaper
or
>  cardboard also?Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Does anyone know
>  easy way to chop them into smaller pieces?
>  Thanks Vern.

You should bake the leaves wet in the oven to kill the eggs of wild earthworms
and other undesireables. The most effective way to shred newspaper or
cardboard is to soak it in water overnight, then squeeze it like PlayDo until
it is just mush. Sqeezing it out in a change or two of water will leach out
some inks and glues. Take care, Dan