grindle worm culture w/o soil

Greetings and happy holidays!

A while back someone mentioned culturing grindles on foam rubber floating
in water.

I had to try it, I have had a lot of trouble with mites in my cultures so I
decided to give the foam rubber a try!

I used a cheap plastic shoe box and a piece of 3" foam rubber cut to fit
the shoe box snugglie (sp?), I cut the foam about 3" shorter than the box
so adding water would be easier. The water level is within a about a
quarter of an inch from the top of the foam and the foam is pushed to the
bottom of the box. so the water level is about 2 inches from the top of the
box. The foam is kept wet by capillary action. I placed a couple of dozen
worms on the surface of the foam after rinsing them in fresh water to
remove any freeloading mites. I added a nickle sized pinch of crushed brine
shrimp flakes ( any good fish flake will do) near the worms and left them
alone. I keep the box cover on tightly. I check them every 3 days or so to
be sure they have food. To my surprise I found baby worms and tiny white
worm coccoons (eggs) on the sponge surface. I saw the eggs a couple of days
ago but figured they were just mold or detritus but after seeing the tiny
baby worms I am nearly sure they are eggs ( about half a mm and white ).

It is too early to say if this is going to work well or not but will keep
you all posted.

Happy Holidays

Paul J.

Paul Jarvis