Re: Pathogens and tubifex/blackworms

> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:26:18 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Lyle Robinson <robinson at ichips_intel.com>
> Subject: Pathogens and tubifex/blackworms

snip...

> However, as I say, I'm not an expert and can only rely on those who are.
> Can you ask this prof's opinion specifically with regards to tapeworm?
> Perhaps he didn't think of this since tapeworm is a multi-lifecycle
> organism that requires multiple hosts.

You can ask him yourself. He is Dr. Barry Cooper, and runs the AKA web
site <www.aka.org>.

I'm aware of the fact that tubificids are a known intermediate host for
tapeworm in the wild. [For Example, see Untergasser's _Handbook of
Tropical Fish Diseases_, TFH] However, they never seem to be in
captivity. Tapeworm is extremely rare in aquaria, and only seems to
happen in wild-caught fish, for some reason. I've been using tubifex,
then blackworms, for over 40 years, and never seen (or even heard) of a
single case of tapeworm in aquarium-raised fish.

and...