Vinegar Eels

Okay, I seem to be doing the impossible--killing vinegar eels.  I started
off with a highly populated starter culture, added it to a 50/50 real
apple cider vinegar/water, a medium apple.  At first there were scads of
the things when I first added the started clture but now they are few and
far between.  The only thing that sticks out in my mind is that I
midlessly used tap water instead of aquarium water.  Would that hurt the
culture?  Also there is some mold/scum forming on top--mother of
vinegar--right?  Also, is darkness critical?  Any help would be
appreciated as everything that I've read is that these things are the
easiest live food to culture?  Not so for me

Frank Hillman
FAIRVIEW LAWN CARE
www.greenlawn.net