No Subject

Re: Decapsulating Artemia cysts

Frank,
It occurred to me that you might administer too much chlorine. In
Europe, commercially available bleach typically has an activity of
around 7%, whilst bleach for industrial use has an activity of around
31%. As activity of readily available NaOCl can vary a lot in different
countries (it is higher in the USA and as its activity is dependent on
temperature and light conditions during storing), it would be wise to
double check the label on the bottle and take this percentage as the
maximum. A maximum of 0.5 g active chlorine per g of cysts to be
decapsulated is considered to be optimal. Though in the industry we use
NaOH (soda) to increase pH which increases the dissociation of NaOCl).
You should also not wait too long for stopping the reaction. As other
people have pointed out before me here, collecting the decapsulated eggs
in a fine mesh sieve (Bsnet) (preferred above a handkerchief) upon a
colour change of the last eggs not fully decapsulated yet, followed by a
thorough flushing with tapwater and final submersing in vinegar (and
flushing again to get rid of the vinegar! Otherwise you might decrease
the pH of the hatching medium) should be sufficient to get rid of the
chlorine. I would not use a coffee filter … it does not simplify things
.

If you need more detailed information then feel free to contact me.

Steve Geerts
Biologist
San Francisco Bay Brand
8239, Enterprise Drive