Re: Culturing Chironomids (was LFD-V2#221)

Hello Steve,

Both mosquitoes and Chironomid midges are difficult to culture in
captivity, because they require lots of space to swarm in preparation
for mating. As far as I know, despite all of the research being done on
mosquitoes, no small-space culture methods for them are available.

However, the EPA has directions for culturing a Chironomid midge in 1-2
cubic feet of space and Tetramin flakes. If I remember correctly, it is
<Chironomus tentans>. Its larva -- the "bloodworm" -- is used to asses
the toxicity of sediments.

Unfortunately, there is more to it than following the directions. Twice
I have tried to culture them. Once I failed completely -- the egg mass
did not hatch, and the other time I nursed them through one generation
-- and then they died out!

The EPA used to have a course on toxicity assesment, I believe in Bent
Harbor, MI (?) where they were teaching how to culture Chironomids. I
don't know whether they still do it.

I would have continued to practice my "skill" in raising (or, rather,
killing) midges, but I don't know of a source of <C. tentans> eggs. If
you find a source, please let me know.

Best,

George