Na2CO3 and NaHCO3

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 03:58:03 -0400 (EDT), Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com
(Live Foods Digest) wrote:

>Hello Charles,
>
>Addition of sodium carbonate, Na2CO3, *not* bicarbonate NaHCO3, will
>raise the pH that high and keep it there for a while. Eventually, CO2
>from the air will convert the carbonate to bicarbonate and the pH will
>drop slightly.
>
>What fish do you keep that you need a pH of 9?

Additionally Na2CO3 will KILLl or at least DAMAGE your fish! Please,
please use NaHCO3. You could add about 1/7 part Na2CO3 to this but not
more! Anyway after few days the result should be the same, because of
CO2 will leave the water. With poor NaHCO3 (about 1 spoon per 100L)
your pH will start at about 7 an increase slowly, together with 1/7
part NaCO3 you will get about 8.2.soon.
I tried it. (Actually I use Sea salt (one spoon per 100L) for my
Tanganyika-fishes, because it contains valuable minerals).

Stephan
--
Stephan Pflume
Abt. Vegetationskunde und Populationsbiologie