Re: Redworms

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:37:21 -0700
> From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
> Subject: Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #195
>
> >will work BUT without a bit of light to keep the worms in their little
> world
> >they WILL explore your world during the dark of night.  Man what a mess
> that
> >can be.  If you really want to find out how many red worms you have in your
> >culture TURN OUT THE LIGHTS.  Good luck - Dave C. From Kalamazoo MI
>
> I assume there are other ways to prevent this, like using a container with
> sides that are too smooth/steep for them?  Anyone have wisdom to impart on
> this?

They will stay in their little world if it suits them better than the
outside world.  Escape attempts are usually due to problems with the
substrate, e.g. too wet, too acid, etc.  I keep mine in a plastic tub
in the basement with a sheet of newspaper on the surface, and almost
never find a dried out escapee on the floor.  We only have the lights
on down there when we are doing laundry or other work.

More people should raise these worms.  They are often used for indoor
composting, convenient in cold climates.  I feed mine kitchen garbage
and newspaper and get back rich black soil, 'compost tea' which is
great stuff for watering transplants, and worms of all sizes.  If your
fish aren't very big, you can just feed them small worms - no need to
chop them up.  Fish like worms so much that they will eat ones much
larger than you think they can.