Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #189

Hello Wright,

I am with you on the "mini-earthworm" for killies! There just *has* to
be a red (pink) worm 1-2" long -- Mother Nature abhors a vacuum! Maybe
it lives in the tropics, maybe in somebody's backyard. The problem is to
find it and to develop a way to mass-culture it.

I think that since the introduction into the hobby of brine shrimp
nauplii and the Grindal worms in the 1930's, in the last 60 years there
has not been any revolutionary live-foods development.

As an alternative to earthworms one can use home-grown Tubificid worms.
They are generally free of pathogens (as opposed to the "wild" kind sold
in LFS), relatively easy to culture and the fish love them. But for
variety's sake a mini-earthworm would be a welcome addition to the
killie menu.

If you discover something -- please share!

Best,

George