Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #159

>Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:24:43 -0500
>From: "David W. Webb" <dwebb at ti_com>
>Subject: Minnows
>
>>From: YACKOANDDO at aol_com
>>
>> I own a needle fish that feasts on minnows.  I also live in an extremly
>>small
>>town and have to buy them at a chain pet store some 40 miles away.  This
>is
>>large pain as one might resume so I was wondering if anobody knew how to
>>breed
>>minnows, preferably at a low cost.  It would be a great help^^
>>Yackoanddo at AOL_com^^ Thanx!
2 suggestions:
 - buy a minnow trap at the bait store and use it to catch your own at a
local lake.  Then put these in a 10- 20 g tank and feed as required.
 - get Zebra Dino fish (striped and similar to minnows) and breed them in a
tank.  To breed them you have a 2-5 g tank covered with marbles on the
bottom of the tank.  Put the female (with eggs) in with 2-3 males and they
will fertilize the eggs as they drop to the bottom.
The marbles keep the adults from getting to the eggs till you remove the
adults to another tank.  This will give you lots of food.
Ralph