white worms in dirty tank

Non-member submission from ["Alysoun McLaughlin"
<alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>]
From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
To: <live-foods at actwin_com>
Subject: white worms in dirty tank
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:49:57 -0400

I have an unfiltered tank with a small gourami brood.  I've been
overfeeding
(I'm just starting to give them frozen BBS and microworms instead of the
powdered stuff), plus this tank has a gravel substrate and I haven't been
changing their water as frequently as I should.  It's overdue for a sponge
filter.

This morning I discovered a bunch of largish white worms (bigger and
thicker
than microworms or those wriggly white worms that I also have in this
tank).
There were a few dozen of them, all attached to the side of the tank, in a
loose, horizontal strip (which I assume is because of temperature, since
the
tank has no circulation).

Are these planaria, or something else?  Are they the same as the wriggly
white ones, and just seem longer and thinner when they're moving?

What are they?  Do they have any potential as a live food for community
fish
(apistos in particular)?

Alysoun McLaughlin
alysoun at patriot_net