Utah Brine Shrimp shortage

I pulled the following information from a post by R. S. Page on the
killies at killi_net mailing list.

Apparently, due to El Nino effects (I bet egg overharvesting for commercial
fish hatcheries is also a problem, but so far I haven't read anything about
it on the killies list), the Great Salt Lake is less saline than is
necessary for brine shrimp eggs to float.  Also, the lower salinity makes
it easier for diatoms to grow, competing for and crowding out the
unicellular green algae that brine shrimp eat.  The articles below probably
explain everything (I haven't read them yet).

http://wwwdutslc.wr.usgs.gov/shrimp/shrimp.html
http://www.oodlesofangels.com/brinealert.htm
http://www.standard.net/utah_central/indepth/brine/1.html

--