Freezer fresh - almost live

        I have been experimenting with growing fruit flies, the wild
outdoor type.  Put an old banana in a half gallon jar on its side.  When
there are a good number of flies in the jar, simply put the cap on.  Then
it is into the freezer to stun or kill the little buggers.  My killies and
rainbows like them, especially the rainbows.  Next I am going to try to put
the banana in a cloth bag in the bottle, to make it easier to separate out
the fruit flies.
        So far I have tried bananas, strawberries, and beer.  The bananas
are the favorite, no contest.  If anybody has ideas how to make the
harvesting easier, I would like to hear your methods.  George