Re: bloodworms

I've had several Chironomid larvae (blood worms) appear in my outdoor
daphnia cultures. They aren't as prolific here in the city as mosquitoes
but there are areas in the interior of BC where the trout get VERY fat
on Chironomid larvae! These are just the larvae and pupae of midge
flies. According to Master's Encyclopedia of Live Foods, aquatic midges
are found all over the world from the Arctic to the tropics. There are
several species in the genera of Chironomidae (midge flies that lack
piercing mouth pieces)

So I think you COULD culture them in temperate zones even during the
cold months!

Steve Pushak