collection of live foods

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, and would like to
start collecting some live foods as soon as
possible because I leave at the end of Apr. for
most of the summer.  My family will be taaking care
of my fish, but they son't want to collect any live
foods themselves.  does anyone have any suggestions
as to where I can collect anything; most of the
waters are still frozen, and I haven't seen
anything swimming around yet.  Any Info would be
great.

J Man
jkmiller at gpu_srv.ualberta.ca