Re: Earthworms

> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:02:43 +0200
> From: "Phillip Hansen" <skilphil at zenertech_com>
> Subject: Re: Earthworms
>
> Sorry my question came out a bit wrong.
> I did not mean are earthworms protected by law but does the principle of
> leaving the big ones alone to lay eggs and harvest the small ones apply.
> Since they reach maturity so early, which I did not know (thanks Ranya) my
> question was a bit off the mark.

If an earthworm has the band near their middle (the "clitellum") then
they are mature enough to lay eggs.  I think size can be an effect of
environment, so size may not be generally relevant to egg production.
You can find tons of info (and links to more) at
http://gnv.fdt.net/~windle/
(Mostly the focus is on vermicomposting and bait use, but it is still
applicable).

-Jennifer

---
Jennifer L. Greene  .  jgreene at jimmy_dfci.harvard.edu