Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #20

>>I am currently keeping a culture of Grindal worms. They have been slowing
>>down of late, and it notice a lot of little white globules. When i sprincle
>>pablum on them each day even the golobule wiggle. This prompted me to get
>>out the microscope and see what was going on in there. Well it turns out
>>these globules are little translucent beetles of some sort. about as wide
>>as a grindal but only twice as long as wide. they seem to be climbing over
>>each other, and over the worms. They do have two black spots on their
>>backs, the rest of hte body as i say is similar to the worms. Question. Are
>>they related, ie part of the lifecylce, or just friends, or are they eating
>>my worms? (would they make good fish food)? Thanks.

Sound like what we call mites here in the UK. I simply immerse the culture
in a bucket of water and stir vigirously. The mites are lighter than water
and can be poured off. Simply pour the remains of the culture through a
fine mesh net and squeeze the excess moisture out and return the culture to
the steralised (hot water or nuke in microwave). You may have to add a
little more compost as some will wash away.
SOmetime cultures also become infested with springtails and the same method
can be used. Both mites and springtails can be collected in a fine mesh net
when pouring off and fed to your fish.

>>What is the best way to harvest vinegar eels to feed to fry? I've read that
>>I should hang a strip of scouring pad in the vinegar, the eels climb in,
>>then you lift up the pad and the vinegar drips out, leaving the eels, and
>>you swish the pad around in the tank to release the eels into the water. It
>>doesn't seem to be working. The eels apparently aren't going into the
>>scouring pad, plus it seems like I'm putting vinegar into the fry tank.
>>I've tried pouring the vinegar through baby brine shrimp nets, different
>>types of cloth, coffee filters and even paper towels (which worked best,
>>but not well enough to really use that method). Any suggestions would be
>>appreciated. Thanks.
>>[Rick & Dana Scott]

I to use a coffee filter, whilst some worms do indeed pass through such a
filter enough remain attached to the filter to rinse into the tank to feed
the fish.
Whilst I culture micro (vinegar eels) I use very little as livebearer fry
can take much bigger food. However I culture mine in a sugar solution
(details on our web pages) and this solution will not affect the PH ect of
a tank as any sugar residue is used by bacteria to reduce nitrate / nitrite
(I can never remember which). One of my local club members who breeds a lot
of egglayers just sets up a drip feed system from the stright culture with
no problems using sugar solution.

Viviparous the Livebearer Information Service
Visit our web site for information on Livebearing Fish, Live foods and Plants.
http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/