Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #135

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:58:10 -0500 (EST)
In Live Foods Digest V1 #135
M. Pearlscott
<pearlsco at u_washington.edu> wrote;

> ... Secondly I'm curious of the different types of live foods people use.  So
> far I've heard of:
>
> Daphnia
> Cyclops
> Infusoria (including paramecia, and rotifers)
> mosquito larva
> microworms
> vinegar eels/micro eels
> grindal worms
> white worms
> red worms
> black worms
> tubifex worms
> earthworms/nightcrawlers
> mealworms (various species of beetle larva)
> fruit flies
> maggots
> gnats
> small crickets (ie. pinheads)
> baby fish (guppy, goldfish, minnows)
>

> So what am I leaving off the list?

Of the Annelids, add Enchytraeus (available from Carolina Biological cat #
F6-L393 120 for $14.85, raise them like standard earthworms. Don't overlook
cockroaches, especialy the German Cockroach (Blattella) they are more
prolific than crickets and just as readily acccepted, just don't let them
get out of the breading tank! I guess one of my all time favorites for
larger fish, reptiles and amphibians is the greater wax moth (Galleria
mellonella) again available from Carolina Biological cat# F6-L909 $14.65
per culture of 50 - 75 larvae, be sure to order their culture media cat#
F6-L909M $8.99 (enough to rear 100 moths) otherwise they won't bread,
unless you have access to bees honey combs, which is their natural food.

                                               Sincerely

                                              \\\|///
                                             \\  ~ ~  //
                                        (  @ @  )
                                    Alfred A. Skrocki
                                Alfred.Skrocki.Sr at JUNO_com
                            alfred.skrocki at cybernetworking_com
                       Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                                          .ooo0   0ooo.
                                              \_)   (_/