fwd: Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #88

This was sent to me instead of the list.

---

From: dlains at dax_centralia.ctc.edu, on 10/31/97 10:36 AM:
Responding to the message of Fri, 31 Oct 1997 03:58:19 -0500 (EST)

Hello

Everyone I know thinks that fruit flies in the kitchen are horrible.  Not
me!  Free food for my fish.  If you take snapple bottle or the like and
place some fermenting food in it with a funnel over the top you'll end up
with most of the flies in captivity.  It's important to remove any
distractions so they enter the trap.  Fruit flies are phototropic so when
the trap is full take another bottle and place it where the funnel was.
It's best to force the flies to the bottom by hitting the bottle on a hard
surface right before you place the new bottle on top.   If you place this
new set up under a light all the flies climb into the clean bottle which
can now be placed in the freezer for 10-20 min.  This doesn't kill the
flies but puts them to sleep, making feeding simple, sprinkle a few in each
tank and they wake up stuck to the water.  So do escape the surface of the
water,  and if this is unacceptable freeze longer and make frozen fruitf
lies.  I have wingless flies and would be interested in a trade.
Dave <))><