Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #85

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:58:04 -0500 (EST)
In Live Foods Digest V1 #85
Wright Huntley
<huntley at ix_netcom.com>

> Alfred wrote.
>
> snip...
>
> >... or you could put a 60 to 100 watt light bulb in a
> > clamp-on utility reflector (sold at K-Marts and Sears) and have it aimed at
> > the coke bottle from a foot or so. Keep an eye on the temperature less you
> > cook the brine shrimp! If the light bothers the brine shrimp paint the bulb
> > black or dark red with "Hot-Engine" or Bar-B-Q grill paint, your only
> > interested in the invisable infra-red light anyway.
>
> Absolutely not true!
>
> According to David Kawahigashi, biologist at SF Bay Brand, the hatching
> *needs* 2000 ft-Lamberts of lighting for reasonably complete hatch.
> That's _bright_! Exact temp. is not critical, so I use a little 40W
> High-Intensity lamp, close to the two jugs I run in series, ala the
> Baensch & Rhule Atlas.

Mr. Huntly I have been raising brine shrimp for over 30 years in a DARK
room as almost all aquarium suppliers do, for they know as I do that brine
shrimp need very little light, they need mostly heat! Yes brine shrimp
will react to light by moving to it, but this is only to get the heat it
normaly provides. This I have proven by setting up several tanks with both
bright light sources and dim lght sources with the same amount of heat as
the bright light tanks and there was NO DIFFERENCE in the development of
the cultures! I asume your post was well meaning and as such I would
suggest you go and read the literature and join the Brine-L list before
making such remarks.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  @ @  )