fwd: Re: Supplementing Live BBS with Vitamins follow-up byVannerson

---

From: Dave Sheehy <dbs at hprnd_rose.hp.com>, on 10/28/97 10:32 AM:

Harry Specht wrote:
> Thanks for your efforts, Bill. The article was most interesting. It is
> apparent, however, one must raise adult brine shrimp to  utilize this
> technology and most of us employ only the newly hatched brine shrimp so I
> doubt it will help us very much.

No, no, no, no, and no. This is not correct.

Here's an excerpt from David K's message:
> Supplementing nutritional components, such as vitamins or
> calcium, into live brine shrimp has been practiced by
> aquaculture hatcheries for around 10 years.  This
> bio-enrichment or bioencapsulation of brine shrimp nauplii
> (instar 2 or adults) began using emulsified fish oils containing
   ^^^^^^^^
> high HUFA's or highly unsaturated fatty acids for marine
> finfish and crustacean larvae.

Note that he says "instar 2 or adults". I'm not up on the terminology here
but I believe instar 2 refers to second molt brine shrimp nauplii which if
you recall my post on this subject is the point at which the mouth forms
and enables the nauplii to begin eating.

They're feeding these things to larval marine fish. If baby clownfish can
eat
this so can your killifish fry.

Dave Sheehy