Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #81

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:42:05 +0000
In Live Foods Digest V1 #81
Christopher Carrigan
<carrigan at mail_pris.bc.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am all set to hatch some brine shrimp. I have my inverted coke bottle
> with the bottom cut off. An airline attached to a hole in the lid and a
> small package of brine shrimp eggs/salt, ( all i can find at the moment).
> My question is how do i easily keep the water temp at 80 degrees?
> Suggestions please.

Well Christopher, you could always hang the smallest aquarium heater you
can find inside the inverted coke bottle, perhaps supporting it with
something near by, or you could put a 60 to 100 watt light bulb in a
clamp-on utility reflector (sold at K-Marts and Sears) and have it aimed at
the coke bottle from a foot or so. Keep an eye on the temperature less you
cook the brine shrimp! If the light bothers the brine shrimp paint the bulb
black or dark red with "Hot-Engine" or Bar-B-Q grill paint, your only
interested in the invisable infra-red light anyway.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  @ @  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki