Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #67

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 05:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

>From: "M. Pearlscott" <<pearlsco at u_washington.edu>

>Subject: daphnia & water circulation

>Obviously large tanks are better for keeping indoor daphnia cultures, but

>my question is how does one create circulation in these without air

>bubbles and without common water pumps?

Not sure why you want water circulation unless your water has fouled (aeration clears the water and cause the resting eggs to hatch). The only way I can suggest if a normal air pump cannot be used is the old fashioned way with a football type bladder and restrictor connected to an airline. Also battery air pumps are available try a fishing bait store as they are cheaper than from an aquatic outlet. Also the 12v compressors for inflating car tyres can be pressed into service.

>Also, in outdoor cultures, people have used decaying leaves and such to

>provide food, etc.  Do most people do this in their indoor cultures too?

I use gram flour with great success. Of more importance is good light.

look under the live food section on our back pages for more info on Daphnia and moina (much more suitable for indoor culture.

>I'm also looking for starters for micro-worms and vinegar eels.  Anyone

>willing to sell a starter for either?

As i think from your e-mail address you are US based try Daleco

The daleco website is at http://www.dalecombp.com.

<bigger><bigger>xenotoca

service.

Visit our web page for information on Livebearing fish, Live foods and
plants.

http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/