Conditioning live foods with vitamins

>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 14:36:05 +0400
>From: vahe at arminco_com
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>I have had this idea for long, but never found the time to testit -
>wondering if enyone else did - my question is whether is it possible to
>condition live foods with vitamins - so that they further pass to the
fish.
>Perhaps, human vitamin drops can be added to the media, in the same weigh
>dosage as for humans, or maybe twice as high? This can be possibly tried
on
>brine shrimps, daphnia, infusoria, rotifers, vinegar eels, and tubificids.
>
>Please let me know if anyone ever did this, and if there was any success.

I've heard of doing this with daphnia and brine shrimp, and I know it's
done normally when feeding crickets or meal worms to herps.

Crickets are shaken in a bag with vitamin powder.  The daphnia and brine
shrimp are fed enriched green water right before feeding to the fish.  It
may be possible to add vitamin powder to a daphnia culture directly without
killing your culture too, but I haven't tried it.

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb